The Education Council's commitment to your privacy
The Education Council is committed to observing all the obligations and responsibilities of the Privacy Act 1993, in relation to the information you provide to us on application forms. We offer you the following assurances to support this commitment:
- You are asked to provide the information on application forms so that the Education Council can consider your eligibility to be granted New Zealand teacher registration and be issued a practising certificate. The Education Council considers this in terms of Sections 353, 354, 355, 361, 413 of the Education Act 1989.
- The Education Council will hold the information securely, and will not disclose it to any person or organisation without your authority, unless required or authorised to do so by law. Note that, in signing an application form, you give your consent for us to make contact with the listed organisations and people, so that we can process this application and manage your registration status accurately and so that registration and practising certificate dependent allowances can be confirmed.
You can request under the Privacy Act to see any information that the Education Council holds about you at any time, and you have the right to ask us to correct the information. Note that this applies only if you:
- are a New Zealand citizen
- have permanent residency in New Zealand, or
- are in New Zealand when you make the request.
- The Education Council may use the information you provide for statistical purposes. If we do so, it will be published in such a way that you cannot be identified.
Note: The Education Council makes a register available to the public on its website. This register details the expiry date of the practising certificate issued to anyone as PROV, FULL and STC and also includes those who are cancelled (CANC).